The Torah Encyclopedia of the Animal Kingdom is a milestone in publishing. Complete with stunning, full-color photographs, it includes:• Entries on every mammal, bird, reptile, amphibian, insect and fish found in the Torah, Prophets and Writings;
• All scriptural citations, and a vast range of sources from the Talmud and Midrash;
• Detailed analyses of the identities of these animals, based on classical Jewish sources and contemporary zoology;
• The symbolism of these animals in Jewish thought throughout the ages;
• Zoological information about these animals and fascinating facts;
• Studies of man’s relationship with animals in Torah philosophy and law;
• Lessons that Judaism derives from the animal kingdom for us to use in our own daily lives;
• Laws relating to the various different animals.
The Torah Encyclopedia of the Animal Kingdom is an invaluable reference work that will be commonplace in homes and educational institution. Vol. 1 Chayot / Wild Animals is now available.
“In The Torah Encyclopedia of the Animal Kingdom, Rabbi Natan Slifkin has produced a groundbreaking work of outstanding scholarship, vast erudition, and a truly engaging approach to an understudied topic. The work will be eye-opening for many, who had only a vague sense of the intense interest the Hebrew Bible and Judaism’s sages had for the Divinely created diversity of the animal kingdom. A wonderful book, magnificently produced, that should be on every Jewish bookshelf.” – Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks
“Few things fascinate adults and children alike as much as the grandeur, the magnificence, and the variety of the animal kingdom. Those who appreciate the Torah and tradition will find special pleasure when these two realms come together. Rabbi Slifkin succeeds masterfully in doing this, with stunning photographs, fascinating research, and rich commentary, enabling every reader to take a sense of awe in God’s creation to a new level of understanding.” – Rabbi Yitzchok Adlerstein
“The Torah Encyclopedia of the Animal Kingdom is beautifully produced and most informative. It will serve as a necessary aid to those who wish to comprehend the words of the Torah and appreciate its awe of the grandeur of God’s world.” – Rabbi Berel Wein
“The Torah Encyclopedia of the Animal Kingdom is a rich and accurate source of zoological information from a Torah perspective. Drawing on ancient and recent religious sources as well as the most up-to-date scientific knowledge, the encyclopedia is very readable and highly informative. This is a valuable compendium that enriches the understanding and appreciation of the animal kingdom.” – Dr. Simon Nemtzov, Wildlife Ecologist, Israel Nature and Parks Authority